What is the candle?
The Candle is a fundraising campaign, but also an integral part of the Carnival’s long tradition. Each year, it spreads the spirit of celebration across the Quebec City area as the local Duchies face off in friendly competition during Candle Week.
The Candle is one of the Carnival’s main revenue streams and financially supports numerous organizations in the region. It can be purchased from over one hundred local organizations that keep a percentage of sales and from the seven Carnival Duchesses.
When you buy a Candle, not only do you directly fund the activities of your local groups and organizations, you also get the chance to win prizes. If your candle runs red as it melts, then a winning capsule is encased in its base! Each year, you could collect one of over 500 instant prizes with a winning Candle. Plus, whether your Candle runs red or not, you can sign up online for a separate chance at the grand prize.
Where to buy a candle
Want to try your luck with the Candle so you too can fund many organizations and get a shot at winning one of our numerous prizes? Here’s how to get your Candle!
At the Carnival Offices
Can’t wait to get your Candle? Drop by the Carnival Shop at 205, boulevard des Cèdres, Quebec City. The Candle will be available at the shop from December until January. Exact dates will be announced soon.
From Your Duchess
What better way to get a Candle than from one of its ambassadors? If you live in the greater Quebec City area, catch your Duchess at one of her many public appearances and visits to various organizations. Keep an eye on her Facebook page to stay on top of her schedule and get your Candle from your very own representative.
From a Participating Organization
On Candle Week, our participating organizations make themselves visible in their respective neighborhoods. For one whole week, participating organizations roam the streets of all Duchies to sell Candles door-to-door.
The Candle, a Lottery Just Like Me!
Scores of prizes are up for grabs! Buy a Candle and one might be yours. But that’s not all: whether you win an instant prize or not, each Candle you have is one more shot at the grand prize!
This year, over 650 winning Candles will be distributed.
Marie-Claude Desmarais, the winner of the 2017 Candle contest! Congratulations! Here she is with her prize: a gift certificate for one year of free gas at EKO!
Here are the other 2017 Candle prizes:
- 10 VIP packages for two at the Carnival Canoe Race
- 10 $100 Pneus Ratté gift cards
- 150 $50 Tuscanos gift cards
- 10 $100 Côtes-à-Côtes Resto Grill gift cards
- 50 Mondelez gift baskets
- 3 ice canoe excursions for three on the frozen Saint Lawrence River. Includes a hot chocolate break on the ice floes and a free GoPro video of the event. Duration: 3 hours
- 4 $25 Piazzetta gift cards
- 50 $100 VIA Rail Canada travel credits
- 1 Simply Bed and Breakfast Package at the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec
- 1 The Good Life Package at the Hôtel Château Bellevue
- 1 family membership at the Musée national des Beaux-Arts du Québec
- 25 single passes at the Musée national des Beaux-Arts du Québec
- 4 Hôtel Delta Québec certificates valid for one night in double occupancy, including a luxury continental breakfast, according to availability
- 4 family packages for two adults and three children at the Hôtel de Glace, valid for the 2017 season
- 1 night in the Jean-Marc Parent suite, which includes a bedroom and a large living room, at the Hôtel Le Concorde Québec
- 20 $50 Pot de vin gift cards
- 25 meals for two at Le 23, a courtesy of Hilton Quebec
- 5 seafood buffet meals for two at Allegro!, a courtesy of Hilton Quebec
- 50 panoramic visas (year-round passes) at the Observatoire de la Capitale
- 5 $100 Ameublements Tanguay gift cards
- 2 dinners for two at Le Sam, at the Fairmont le Château Frontenac
- 2 nights at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac
- 67 sets of two 2017 Quebec Winter Carnival Effigies
Selling the Candle to Propel Your Ideas
If you’re looking for a way to fund your activities, selling Candles to round out your budget is one… bright idea! For 60 years now, Candle sales have been helping numerous organizations bring their projects to the next level, be they sports teams, charities or school groups.
Want to attend a foreign sports competition, revamp your schoolyard, go on a humanitarian mission or support a cause dear to your heart? Let the Candle help you achieve your goals and give life to your idea! Here’s all you need to jump right in and spark your project with the Carnival’s fire:
- Form a team of salespeople;
- Choose one or more sectors according to the number of people on your team;
- Note down these sectors;
- Officially reserve your sectors by contacting Mélissa Talbot by phone at 418 626-3716, x 249, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you must know
- Candles cost $10 and are tax-free.
- Candles are on presale from December to mid-January, allowing sales to your close ones around Christmas time.
- The regular Candle sales period takes place over 10 days in January.
- Selling Candles door-to-door will be mandatory for one given day during this period.
For each candle sold, your organization will receive a $2 commission. Performance rewards will also be split among participating organizations.
Choosing the candle means offering an exciting product and joining a campaign renowned and beloved by all for 60 years!
The Great History of a Little Flame
Although this tiny ambassador of the Carnival is just 12 cm tall, it towers atop its own storied past. Every project it helped finance in the last 60 years is now an integral part of its history. This little flame also had its part to play in six decades of Carnival achievements, pushing Bonhomme and his grand projects ever forward. Yet, the Candle did sometimes waver in the winds, and it was renewed on more than one occasion through its eventful lifespan.
When it was introduced in 1959, the Candle could melt into a variety of colors, with red defining the winner of the grand prize. Following some complaints and incidents, this Candle would later be modified to pose less of a fire hazard: a fireproof base and a new self-snuffing wick were added, and the Candle was encased in aluminum-lined cardboard.
In 1983, the Candle was transformed into a “Scratch Candle”, a typical scratch card hiding small symbols. To win, one had to uncover three of the same symbol. It would take 12 years for the Candle to return to its roots, grounded in tradition, and to once again become a good old wax pillar. For over two decades now, the Candle has once again been lighting up the ambiance and warming up every heart to ready them for our great winter celebration, the Carnival!