What is the candle?
Each year, the Carnival Duchesses and about a hundred organizations from the Quebec City region sell the Candle, an important fundraising tool for the Quebec Winter Carnival. All Candles look the same on the outside, but some melt into special colored wax that hides a capsule containing a winning number.
Where to buy a candle
Here is how you can buy a Candle for the low cost of $10, free of tax:
At the Carnival Offices
The Candle is available for purchase at the Carnival Boutique at 205, boulevard des Cèdres, in Quebec City.
From Your Duchess
The Carnival invites those who are looking to buy a Candle from their Duchess to follow her Facebook page, where they will find her public appearances.
From a Participating Organization
Participating organizations will walk the streets of all Duchies to sell Candles door-to-door from January 13 to 22, 2017. These sales activities will reach their zenith on January 14, "Candle Day", when all are to be mobilized.
Here is the list of shops that sell the Candle until January 11, 2017.
To encourage the Duchess Claudine Julien (Duchy of Charlesbourg):
- Prestige coiffure et esthétique
1279, boulevard Louis-XIV, Québec (Québec) G2L 1M1
- Garage Julien et Bédard
14001, boulevard Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1G 3Y9
- La Fudgerie
717, boulevard Louis-XIV, Québec (Québec) G1H 4M9
- Chocolats Favoris inc.
8320, 1re avenue, Québec (Québec) G1G 4C2
- Santé Spa Relaxe
767, boulevard Louis-XIV, Québec (Québec) G1H 1A1
7710, 1re avenue, Québec (Québec) G1H 2Y2
- Monsieur Olivier boutique canine
13024, boulevard Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1G 3Y4
- Gérard Bourbeau & Fils inc.
8285, 1re avenue, Québec (Québec) G1G 5E6
- Au toit rouge
12025, boulevard Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1G 3Y2
- Le Café Christina
8500, boulevard Henri-Bourassa, porte 3, Québec (Québec) G1G 5X1
1190, boulevard Louis-XIV, Québec (Québec) G1H 6P2
- Salon de couture Céline
6975, avenue Isaac-Bédard, Québec (Québec) G1H 3C9
14000, boulevard Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1G 3Y8
7100, boul. Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1H 3E4
- Loisirs St-Rodrigue
130, 50e rue Est, Québec (Québec) G1H 0C7
- Concept Beauté Signature
870, boul. du Lac, Lac-Beauport (Québec) G2M 0C9
- Concept Beauté Signature
8500, boul. Henri-Bourassa, Charlesbourg (Québec) G1G 5X1
- Monette Express
4050, rue Jean-Marchand, suite 110, Québec (Québec) G2C 1Y6
- Pizza Passion
5425, Ave des Platanes, Charlesbourg (Québec) G1G 3R5
- Christine Légaré courtier immobilier
360, boul. du Lac, Lac-Beauport (Québec) G2M 0C9
- Boutique du Lac
1020, boul. du Lac, Lac-Beauport (Québec) G3B 0W8
- Métro (Carrefour Charlesbourg)
8500, boul. Henri-Bourassa, Québec (Québec) G1G 5X1
Carnival candle prizes
You could win one year of gas at EKO or one of the following prizes :
- 10 VIP packages for two at the Carnival Canoe Race
- 10 $100 Pneus Ratté gift cards
- 150 $50 Tuscanos gift cards
- 10 $100 Côtes-à-Côtes Resto Grill gift cards
- 50 Mondelez gift baskets
- 3 ice canoe excursions for three on the frozen Saint Lawrence River. Includes a hot chocolate break on the ice floes and a free GoPro video of the event. Duration: 3 hours
- 4 $25 Piazzetta gift cards
- 50 $100 VIA Rail Canada travel credits
- 1 Simply Bed and Breakfast Package at the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec
- 1 The Good Life Package at the Hôtel Château Bellevue
- 1 family membership at the Musée national des Beaux-Arts du Québec
- 25 single passes at the Musée national des Beaux-Arts du Québec
- 4 Hôtel Delta Québec certificates valid for one night in double occupancy, including a luxury continental breakfast, according to availability
- 4 family packages for two adults and three children at the Hôtel de Glace, valid for the 2017 season
- 1 night in the Jean-Marc Parent suite, which includes a bedroom and a large living room, at the Hôtel Le Concorde Québec
- 20 $50 Pot de vin gift cards
- 25 meals for two at Le 23, a courtesy of Hilton Quebec
- 5 seafood buffet meals for two at Allegro!, a courtesy of Hilton Quebec
- 50 panoramic visas (year-round passes) at the Observatoire de la Capitale
- 5 $100 Ameublements Tanguay gift cards
- 2 dinners for two at Le Sam, at the Fairmont le Château Frontenac
- 2 nights at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac
- 67 sets of two 2017 Quebec Winter Carnival Effigies
How to sell candles
Year after year, many organizations sell Candles to finance their activities. This unique fundraising method is both pleasant and practical.
In order to sell Candles, you must:
1- Form a team of salespeople;
2- Choose one or more sectors according to the number of people on your team;
3- Note down these sectors;
4- Officially reserve your sectors by contacting Mélissa Talbot by phone at 418 626-3716, x 249, or by email at email@example.com.
- Candles cost $10 and are tax-free.
- Candles are on presale from mid-November to mid-January, allowing sales to your close ones around Christmas time.
- The regular Candle sales period is January 13 to 22, 2017.
- Selling Candles door-to-door is mandatory on Saturday, January 14, 2017, known as "Candle Day".
Your organization will receive a $2 commission for each Candle sold. A sum of $3000 in performance rewards is also to be split among participating organizations.
The Carnival Candle is your chance to raise money for your organization through a campaign that invites participation and features an interesting product.
A short history of the Carnival Candle
The Candle has changed many times since its creation in 1959. At first, it was just your everyday candle: if yours melted into coloured wax, you won a prize. The Candle was lated improved following house fire complaints: a fireproof base was added, the cardboard sheath was lined with aluminum and a new self-extinguishing wick was introduced. In 1983, the Candle was replaced by a “scratch Candle” ticket to eliminate all risk of fire. In order to win a prize, one then had to scratch three of the same image on a single Candle. Another twelve years later, in 1995, the Carnival revived the good old Candle, which remains unchanged to this day. The flame that warms up your heart and radiates a true Carnival ambiance is back, to the delight of all!